It is well known that research plays an important role in advancing programs, organizations, systems and so on. The lack of research studies and reports on various important subjects related to Entrepreneurship/the creation of startups work as one main driver for us to conduct research in such subjects. The continuous efforts to improve on what we offer and do in the other two centers serves as another important factor of why we should be conducting research and studies on entrepreneurship. The lack of cases written about local successful entrepreneurs and/or startups that could be used in teaching is yet another important factor for us to have such a center.
Hence, the center aims to conduct research studies to assist advancing and improving our institute’s programs and provide case studies for entrepreneurs.Examples of research study topics:
- Assessment of evolving entrepreneurial ecosystems
- Identification of local entrepreneurial opportunities
- Growing established startups to the regional and international markets
- Solutions for existing strategies of startups in Saudi Arabia
- Assessment of the level of understanding of entrepreneurship
- Commercialization and technology transfer within KFUPM and the region
- The life of entrepreneurs
Currently, the center is conducting number of surveys aim at evaluating the level of entrepreneurial & business propensity and perceptions on entrepreneurship within KFUPM faculty and students. These are on-line surveys (launched during September and kept until October 26 just right before the Entrepreneurship forum). The surveys are planned to be repeated every year so more thorough analysis can be made to reflect the advancement of the evolving entrepreneurial ecosystem.
It is a remarkable annual event in KFUPM. The forum is conducted during the first week of November. This forum brings global Entrepreneurship experts considered to be among some of the top Entrepreneurship experts in global higher education today and major corporate players along with Entrepreneurs to discuss over the course of a day or two days various topics and challenges in the entrepreneurship. Each forum was in average composed of 13 talks and 3 panel sessions with the participation of more than 20 international and local speakers and panelists and with the participation of more than 150 including faculty members, students and guests. Forum sessions spanned a wide range of topics with a focus on entrepreneurial culture in academia, entrepreneurship in engineering university and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Introduce the KFUPM & regional communities about the current & future global Academic Entrepreneurship challenges and trends.
- Spread awareness of international efforts in promoting entrepreneurship in academia.
- Bring awareness of international efforts to build university entrepreneurial ecosystems.
- Explore the issues characterizing academic entrepreneurship and understand the contemporary relations between academia and business in engineering based universities.
- The core mission of university in building entrepreneurial mindset.
Chair Professor Initiative
As part of EI initiative for enhancing and accelerating the demand of developing entrepreneurial mindset. EI is hiring a chair professor in collaboration with Saudi Aramco. The Entrepreneurship Institute chair professor vision is to position KFUPM Entrepreneurship Institute as a leading institution known for its high impact entrepreneurial educational programs & studies on the regional entrepreneurial ecosystem. The chair professor position accelerates the advancement of KFUPM Entrepreneurship Institute educational programs & studies.The position objectives are to develop:
- Research that explores the unique capabilities and circumstances of regional entrepreneurs.
- Oral and written history projects profiling significant living regional entrepreneurs including cases and stories.
- Entrepreneurship education and training programs that reflect regional values and perspectives.
- International conferences on scholarship that focuses on regional entrepreneurs.
- Help in building the institute and recruit other qualified scholars/professionals.
- Teach entrepreneurship courses, minor degree courses, short courses and business incubation programs.
- Conduct studies on KSA and regional ecosystems, entrepreneurial mindset development, entrepreneurial leadership, local entrepreneurs’ behaviors, etc.
- Write and teach case studies about local entrepreneurs.
- Write books and text-books on Entrepreneurship reflecting the regional values and perspectives.
- Plan and prepare for envisioned international KFUPM entrepreneurship conferences.
- Develop, organize and deliver workshops, seminars, webinars, etc.